Thursday, October 13, 2005

this, and that

Walking back from the bus-stop after a night out in a strange pub on bethnal green road, we were trailed by two young men.

Young Man 1 struck up conversation with the boyfriend on the topic on Young Man 2’s headgear.

YM1: you have the same hat as my friend!
Boyfriend: why yes, I do
YM1: I prefer yours’ though, it looks worn
Boyfriend: yeah well, I do a lot of work in it

This was supposed to be funny, but I didn’t get it. And still don’t.

Then,

Boyfriend: so where are you from?
YM1: we’re from the States. I know… we’re such losers huh?

The poor dear. He must have come to London thinking that he’s going to have such a great time on his General Course being a typical English bloke getting pissed and watching footy, and then realized the disdain the British have of them Americans soon after.

I feel for them (the Americans), but I agree wholeheartedly with the English. Once you’ve sat in a pub with a group of American tourists in the sofa next to you making inane comments in their loud and nasal voices about the pub itself (oooh, this is like a real pub, totally) and how everything in England is so old, you’d want to punch the lights out of them as well.

***

Can I say that I heart my school? I really do.

I know I complain, as one does, about reading about too many things and having too much work to do and that everything is too damn hard.

But, and this is my point, somehow or other when I go to class or when I go to lectures everything falls into place and I can think. And I can bring up issues without the teacher going ‘yes, but this is not what you’ve been told in the textbook so shut up and listen as I recite from it’. And we get constructive feedback. And they love what they’re doing.

They make the fact that I don’t have time anymore worthwhile.

Awwwww…