Monday, August 08, 2005

the tourist

There are times when I wish I had forever to take in the sights and sounds of Singapore.

But I know that the feeling is just illusory, and I only think in this manner because I won’t be around for 9 – 10 months out of 12. And also because I’m interning and have no energy after battling the work-bots at Raffles Place to go exploring.

Still.

I would love to do a project on Shenton Way and Raffles Place on a Sunday. The steel+glass everywhere makes me dizzy and weak at the knees, literally and metaphorically. I also want to do a project on HDB blocks that look like candle holders all lit up and twinkly at night, although that might just be due to my astigmatism.

I also want to visit Arab Street and sit there on a sunny lazy afternoon drinking teh ais. Or go haggling at Sungei Road. And wandering around the back lanes of Little India. Perhaps take a walk around Chinatown and buy the clear plastic piggy banks from my childhood in pink green blue or orange.

And watch the films showing at Screen Singapore. And attend a drum’n’bass event, Singaporean style. And go to the religious art exhibition ‘Journey of Faith’ at the Asian Civilizations Museum. And eat warm chocolate cake at Baker’s Inn. Or just drive around in the middle of the night along the expressways, imagining what it'd be like to be flying.

Alternatively, more time to hang out in a pre-1950s colonial type house with the friends since the other pre-development house in Gardens has been deemed unsuitable. And drink beer on the balcony or just down the road. And ogle at the house across the street with the goddess of mercy staring back at me.